If you make a custom installation of Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux, you may be unable to start the web GUI afterwards.
This happens if you install to /root, a directory which the sophosav user does not have access to.
Note: This will also prevent savscan working for non-root users.
What to do
Install to a directory which is accessible the sophosav user.
This can happen if you do the following on some combinations of operating system:
- Log onto the Linux end user computer (endpoint) as root/
- Copy and extract the Sophos tar file.
- Run a custom installation to /root/sophos-av
- Enter the credentials for the web GUI, and these are accepted.
- Try to open the web GUI. This fails.