Applies to :
This error applies (at least) to the following distributions :
- Red Hat 9
- Fedora Core 1
- Ubuntu 5.10
On Red Hat 9, Fedora core 1, with Japanese language packages (ttfonts-ja) have been installed, the Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux pop-up notifications are not displayed correctly with the default locale settings. Terminal alerts are displayed instead.
- On most copies, the default locale is set to 'en_US.UTF-8' even where Japanese language packages have been installed. The pop-ups can only be displayed after the locale has been switched to 'en_US' or 'ja_JP' (export LC_ALL=en_US).
- Terminal Alerts are displayed instead of pop-ups, sometimes with a significant delay, where the locale is set to 'en_US.UTF-8' or 'ja_JP.UTF-8'.
This is a known issue with the ttfonts-ja package on Red Hat 9, Fedora core 1. See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=109537.
What to do
- Create a file named .Xsessions in the /user/home/ directory
- Add export LC_ALL=en_US or export LC_ALL=en_GB to the file .Xsessions
- Make the .Xsessions file executable
- Restart X