In response to numerous customer requests, Sophos has decided to delay its plans to retire support for Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) until the end of December 2010. Support for this platform was due to expire at the end of December 2008, but we have decided to extend it until the end of December 2010 to give you more time to upgrade your computers.
This extended support comes with the following restrictions:
- the extended support will only be available for Windows 98 SE computers that update through the network. Computers running Windows 98 SE will no longer be able to connect to Sophos to download their updates directly.
- The minimum system memory requirement is now 128MB (up from 64MB).
What to do
This article describes what actions our Small Business customers must take to ensure that their Windows 98 SE computers remain protected by Sophos.
- If your computers get their updates from the network, you do not need to do anything until the end of December 2010.
- If your computers get their updates directly from Sophos, you will have to set them to receive their updates from the Sophos Control Center. The rest of this article guides you through that process.
Setting up your computers to update from Sophos Control Center
If you already use the Sophos Control Center on your network
- Open Sophos Control Center and click 'Configure updating'.
- On the Software tab, ensure that there is a check mark in the 'Windows 98 and Me' check box.
- Click OK to save your changes.
If you do not already use the Sophos Control Center
In order to continue using Windows 98 SE on some of your endpoint computers, you will need to download and install the Sophos Control Center, and then reset your computers so that they get their updates from the Sophos Control Center.
Choose a computer on which you can install the Sophos Control Center. It must have one of the following operating systems:
- Windows 2000 (SP3 or later)
- Windows XP Professional (SP1 or later)
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Small Business Server 2003
On the computer on which you will install Sophos Control Center, open a web browser and navigate to: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/downloads.aspx
You will need your MySophos credentials in order to access this page. If you do not already have a MySophos account, you will be asked to create one before you can download the software. You will need your Sophos Licence Agreement in order to continue.
On the Downloads and Updates page, select the Network Installer for the Small Business software that's listed on your License Agreement.
Save the download file to the desktop.
Install Sophos Control Center on the computer (complete installation). For more information, please see the installation guide.
On the computer on which you've installed Sophos Control Center, right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties. On the Network Identification tab (Windows 2000) or Computer Name tab (Windows XP), does your computer belong to a workgroup or a domain?
If your computers are on a domain, continue to step 8.
If your computers are in a workgroup, on each of the computers on your network, prepare them for updating through Sophos Control Center.
When you have installed Sophos Control Center and configured your computers (if they are in a workgroup), open Sophos Control Center and click Configure Updating.
On the Software tab, ensure that there is a check mark in the 'Windows 98 and Me' check box
Click OK to save your changes.
Click Protect New Computers and Sophos Control Center will add your networked computers to its list of computers. The new updating settings will automatically be shared with the computers.