The following error message can be seen in the Network Communications Report when a computer that previously reported successfully to Enterprise Console, or Sophos Control Center, can no longer do so:
Failed to communicate with the server.
This is a general communication error, and usually happens where communications worked for some time before failing.
Note: This may be a transient error that requires no action.
Possible causes include:
- The console computer has been switched off.
- The Sophos Message Router service is not running on the console computer.
- The console computer has been firewalled.
- The network cable is disconnected (or damaged) on the console computer.
- The console computer's fixed IP addresses have changed.
- The client is unable to resolve the server.
What to do
Look for the following:
- Switch on the console computer, if it was switched off.
- Check the network cabling between the affected computers.
- Has a firewall, e.g. the Windows firewall, been installed on the console computer? Open ports 8192 and 8194, if necessary.
- Restart the Sophos Message Router service, if it has been stopped. Analyze why it might have stopped.
- Check the 'possible cause' and 'action to repair' information in the Network Communications Report.