This article describes how to change:
- The password for Sophos Update Manager (SUM) in Enterprise Console and in Sophos Control Center
- The username and password for the updating policy in Sophos Control Center.
Known to apply to the following Sophos products and versions
Sophos Control Center 4.0.0
Enterprise Console 5.0.0
Enterprise Console 4.7.0
Enterprise Console 4.5.0
What To Do
Note: For all the folder path mentioning 'Program Files' below on a 64-bit computer 'Program Files' is 'Program Files (x86)'.
1. Locate the tool
If you are using the Small Business Control Center you should download the tool from: http://downloads.sophos.com/tools/ObfuscationUtil_40.exe
The tool is downloaded and extract with the installer and is located in the C:\sec_XX\tools\ folder (where XX is the version of console). For example: in Enterprise Console 5.0 the tool is located at: C:\sec_50\tools\ObfuscationUtil.exe
2. Copy the tool to the correct folder
The tool must be copied to the correct folder before it is run. Place a copy of the tool in the following folder depending to the console version:
- Control Center: C:\Program Files\Sophos\SCC\
- Enterprise Console: C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console\
- Enterprise Manager: C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Manager\
3. Update the SophosUpdateMgr account
- Go into Computer Management (or Active Directory Users and Computers) and change the password for the SophosUpdateMgr user.
- Open a command prompt (Start | Run | Type:
cmd.exe | Press return) and change directory to the folder containing the tool (see above).
- Type the command:
(use the password you set in step 1).
- Control Center:
ObfuscationUtil_40.exe --obfuscate <password>
- Enterprise Console/Manager:
ObfuscationUtil.exe --obfuscate <password>
- Right-click on system.xml and select Edit. From here you can change the <ImpersonationAccount> section.
- Locate the object called
<Password installer-obfuscated="true">. This contains the obfuscated password for the current impersonation account. Make the following two changes.
- Change the object name from
- Remove the current obfuscated password string and paste in the result from the ObfuscateUtil.exe command you ran in step 5.
- Save your changes to system.xml.
- Restart the 'Sophos Update Manager' service.
Note: The new password is now stored in the private store, and can be used by the Management Service.
- Now follow article 112598 to change the username and password for the updating policy.