Sophos Update Manager (SUM) is always installed on the computer where the Enterprise Console is installed. This is the component which is responsible for getting the updates from Sophos and is the updating source for the computers on your network. In some circumstances there may be a requirement to install an additional SUM to alleviate slow network connections / bandwidth due to all clients trying to update from the same update source at the same time.
This article explains how to add one or more additional SUM's to the network. This is to reduce the load on the existing SUM that is already installed on the Enterprise Console and distribute updates more efficiently to the remote computers.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Update Manager
What To Do
Installation of remote sum
- On the Computer where the additional Sophos Update Manager is to be installed, click Start | Run | Type:
Note: The SUMInstallSet share is created by default on the computer where the Enterprise Console management server is installed.
- Follow the steps throughout the installation wizard. On the Sophos Update Manager Account page, select an account that will be used for network access to the update share.
- On the Ready to Install the Program page, click Install. When installation is complete, click Finish.
Configuration of remote sum
- Open Enterprise Console. Click Update Managers to change the view, the newly installed SUM's computer name will now be visible.
- To configure the newly installed SUM, right-click on the computer name, and then click View/Edit configuration.
- Select 'Add' and from the drop down list choose either Sophos, the share of the SEC server or another remote SUM.
- Configure user credentials and proxy details as required.
- Click on the 'Subscriptions' tab and make sure a software subscription is selected under the section entitled 'Subscribed to'.
- Press OK and the updating procedure will start, downloading binaries will appear under the download status column. Once finished the software will be ready to deploy.
Apply the new update location to endpoints
- Change the view of the Enterprise Console to Endpoints view.
- Under groups create a group called Remote Clients.
- Duplicate the default updating policy and call it Remote Client Policy. Double click on the Remote Client Policy and make sure that address is set to
\\NewSUMLocation\SophosUpdate and press OK. Press OK to any subsequent messages about applying the policy.
- Right click the Remote Client Group created earlier and click on view edit group policy details. Change the updating policy to Remote Clients Policy and press OK.
- Start moving the remote computers onto Remote Clients Group and protect the machines as required.
Further information can be found on section 7.6 of the Sophos Enterprise Console Advanced Startup Guide