During the installation of Sophos Update Manager on Windows 2008 Server, whether alongside Enterprise Console or standalone, if you
- select the existing user option for the Sophos Update Manager (SUM) account
- if you use the 'Browse' button when selecting the server in the new user option,
the following error message is generated when you reach the 'Sophos Update Manager Account Details' screen:
Server not found. Verify that the specified server exists
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Update Manager
Windows server 2008
On Windows 2008 browsing for user accounts doesn't work within the interactive SUM installation. This means that the SUM installation will fail if you attempt to browse to an existing user account or if you attempt to browse the network for a new user when creating a new account. The operation will also fail if Network Discovery is not switched on.
What To Do
Possible solutions to this issue:
- When creating a new user, type the full user credentials into the text fields.
- When using an existing user, install directly from the MSI using the following command:
SUMInstall.log /qb /i "Path to SUM.msi" IS_NET_API_LOGON_USERNAME_TOKEN="username (without domain)" IS_NET_API_LOGON_DOMAIN_TOKEN="domain" IS_NET_API_LOGON_PASSWORD="password for user" CREATE_NEW_USER=[0|1]
- In the 'Network and Sharing Center' click 'Change Advanced Sharing Settings' and ensure that Network Discovery is switched on.
- In Windows Services (Start | Run | type SERVICES.MSC and press the Enter key), ensure that the following services are started:
- Computer Browser
- DNS Client
- Function Discovery Resource Publication
- SSDP Discovery
- UPnP Device Host