This article explains how to manage your software subscriptions and provides best practice advice. It describes how you can:
- create, rename and delete your own software subscriptions in Enterprise Console
- customize which version of our security software is downloaded for each operating system
- set software subscriptions for best protection
- customize updating to trail behind the latest release
- download a fixed version.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Enterprise Console 5.2.1
Enterprise Console 5.2.0
Enterprise Console 5.1.0
Enterprise Console 5.0.0
What To Do
Find your software subscriptions
In Enterprise Console click View | Update Managers. Your Software Subscriptions are displayed in the left hand panel.
Checking the 'Recommended' subscription
The default subscription (created during the installation of the management server) is called 'Recommended'. To open the subscription right-click on its name and select 'View/Edit Subscription'...
This subscription is initially configured for best protection as all software versions are preset to the version labeled '...Recommended'...
We always advise that you subscribe to the software version labeled 'Recommended' so that you have the latest version installed to maximize protection.
What other labeled software versions are available?
Depending on both the 'platform' (operating system) selected, and your license, there may be several labeled versions available (e.g., 'Previous', 'Oldest', etc.). Check the drop-down list for what versions are available to you...
The '..Recommended' label ensures you are fully protected and running the latest version of our Anti-Virus engine. '..Previous' offsets you from the latest version by one version. '..Oldest' means that you are trailing behind our release process and you are only upgraded to the next oldest version when the current one expires.
- If you decide to subscribe to any software version other than '..Recommended' you are not best protected. However you will still be fully protected from the latest malware threats.
- If you subscribe to a fixed software version (e.g., one that mentions a particular 'VDL' version) we strongly recommend that you check the box to automatically upgrade the version once we no longer maintain updates for it...
What software versions can I download?
The 'Platform' column will list available software packages for different operating system. For each platform the 'Version' column will list the version of Sophos Anti-Virus software.
What platforms and versions you have available depends on your license (i.e., the credentials entered into your Update Manager's configuration). You can see the name of your license in the Software Subscription window...
In the example shown above, the license name is 'Endpoint Security and Control'.
If you want to check your license details with us, use either of the email addresses below.
Creating a new subscription
To create a new subscription, from the 'Software Subscriptions' panel select the 'Add' button. Give your subscription a name and select the platforms (and software version for each platform) to download. If in doubt, leave the 'Version' column set to 'Recommended'.
I am warned that the 'new software subscription ... is not in use yet'
When you save changes to a newly created subscription you see this warning...
In order for the software to be downloaded you need to apply the new subscription to your Update Manager. In the main 'Update managers' panel:
- Right-click the name of your Update Manager and select 'View/Edit Configuration'...
- On the 'Subscriptions' tab select the name of your new subscription from the list of 'Available' subscriptions and use the arrow button (>) to move your new subscription to the right-hand column called 'Subscribed to'...
- Click 'OK' to confirm the change.
If you have more than one Update Manager you may need to repeat steps 1 and 2 for each.
Deleting a subscription
To delete a subscription, from the 'Software Subscriptions' panel, right-click on the subscription's name, and select 'Delete Subscription' from the sub menu.
Note that if the subscription is in use, you will not be able to delete it. (If in use, in the Update Manager's configuration the subscription is shown under the 'Subscribe to' list. Refer to the numbered steps in the 'Creating a new subscription' section above, to open the Update Manager's configuration.) In this case:
- move the subscription from the 'Subscribe to' list to the 'Available' list
- confirm the change and then delete the subscription.
- From the same sub menu you can also:
- rename and duplication the selected subscription.
- view which computer groups use the selected subscription.
- You cannot delete the default 'Recommend' subscription.
- By default there is warning to confirm deletion. However you may have previously selected 'Do not ask me again' which would disable future prompts.
Confirm AutoUpdate policies are correct
In the 'Endpoints' view of the console make sure you edit any AutoUpdate policies...
...and change the software subscription name to the required one...
If you want to see the local folder for a particular subscription/software version, from the console drop-down menu, select 'View' | 'Bootstrap Location...' to display the locations where the downloads are saved...
Check the endpoint software version reported by endpoints
Once you have confirmed your subscription(s) and distribution folders are up to date, you can also check (from the console) what version your workstations are running. If you recently changed your software version you should wait for the update to reach your workstations.
- From the console select the 'Anti-Virus Details' tab, and check the 'Anti-Virus version' column:
Note: As shown in the screenshot above any disconnected computers () may not have updated. They will not report the latest version installed until they are switched on and connected to your network.
- Check the Anti-Virus version reported by your workstations against the table of current products in article 11846.