When viewing encryption events through either the encryption event viewer or computer details dialog, part of the message is not translated.
Note: Only the last part of the message is displayed in a different language.
First seen in
Enterprise Console 5.1.0
Enterprise Console 5.1 installer released on 7th June 2012.
The first console to connect (local or remote) to the management server sets the language cache for all future message translation until the 'Sophos Encryption Business logic service' is restarted.
Note: To help explain the issue we have included the steps to re-produce the issue in the Technical Information section at the bottom of this article.
What To Do
If you have already upgraded to or installed Enterprise Console 5.1 with an installer released prior to the 7th June 2012 and have this issue you can either:
- See article: 113411 to view the translations.
- Apply a patch, see How to apply the patch below.
- Install the latest version of SEC released on 7th June 2012.
Note: There is no upgrade path from SEC 5.1 to SEC 5.1 released on 7th June 2012. You would need to uninstall and re-install or use option 1 or 2 above.
How to apply the patch
Note: If UAC is enabled this will need to be disabled first in order to copy the dll file as described in step 3 below.
- Close any consoles you may have open.
- On the management server download the following file: http://downloads.sophos.com/misc/DEF82437.zip
- Unzip the dll file to your desktop and copy to the following folder:
- Open Windows services (Start | Run | Type:
services.msc | Press return).
- Restart the 'Sophos Encryption Business Logic Service'.
- Open the console and open the Encryption event viewer.
The events are now fully translated.
The steps below given an example of how to re-create the issue and therefore may help understand how it was caused.
- Install the Sophos management server on an English OS server.1
- Install a remote console on a computer with another language (i.e., non-English).1
- Open the local (English OS) console first. Note: The translation of encryption messages is set to the English OS language.
- Open the remote (non-English) console second.
- Open the Encryption event viewer on the local console and note the message is displayed in English and is correct.
- Open the Encryption event viewer on the remote console and note the message is mostly in the local (non-English) OS language but the last part is displayed in English as this has been set by the local (English) console opening first.
- Close both consoles.
- Restart the 'Sophos Encryption Business logic service'.
- Open the remote (non-English) console first. Note: The translation of encryption messages is set to the non-English OS language.
- Open the local (English) console second.
- Open the Encryption event viewers on both computer and note that the message is now correctly displayed in the remote console but part of the English message (in the event viewer of the local console) is displayed in the same language of the remote console's OS language.
1In these steps we only use the example that the main Sophos management server has an English OS language and the remote consoles are non-English. However the reverse is also true. You will see this issue as long as you have consoles (local or remote) installed on different OS language computers.