This article provides additional information that you need before you start to use your Sophos Email Appliance.
You will require the following:
- A laptop or other computer with a supported web browser installed. You will use this to manage the appliance.
- Two cables, required for connecting:
- the appliance to your LAN (Ethernet cable)
- the appliance to your management computer (Ethernet or crossover cable)
Configuring the management computer
Configure the computer that you will use to manage the appliance as follows:
- set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
- set the IP address to 172.24.24.1
- point your browser to https://172.24.24.172
Incorporating the Appliance into your network
Illustrated examples of where to connect the appliance to your network are given in the appliance help files. In the 'Table of Contents', go to 'Getting Started' and click 'Mail Routing'. Help is available from the appliance adminstrative interface and on the Sophos website.
You must obtain the following information about your network. You will be prompted for it during configuration of your appliance.
- Hostname for appliance
- IP address for the appliance
- Primary MX record, IP address, fully qualified DNS
- Secondary MX record, IP address, fully qualified DNS
- Hostname and IP address of mail server (MDA)
- Recipient domains
- IP addresses and hostnames of all systems allowed to relay in and out of the appliance
- Directory services (e.g. Active Directory) hostname, IP address, login credentials, ports, query information
You will also need the appliance activation code, which you will have received by email.