Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption 4.60
Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP SP3
After formatting the hard disk of a Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption encrypted System the Pre-Boot Authentication (PBA) still appears. How do I get rid of the PBA now?
1. Boot the system using your operating-system installation CD.
2. When the “Welcome to Setup” screen appears, press “R” to repair using the Recovery console*.
3. Choose the Windows installation you want logon to.
4. Enter the appropriate Administrator password.
5. When the command line “c:\windows” appears, enter the command “fixmbr” and press enter.
6. Confirm you want to write a new MBR.
7. Reboot the machine.
Now the system should start without displaying the Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption PBA.
*To start the Windows 2000 Recovery console a 2nd step is necessary. Press "C" to start the console.
Alternatively, you can use a Windows 98 boot disk and launch the command "fdisk /mbr". After that the PBA will not show up anymore. However, this is not recommended for NT-based operating systems.
keyword: fixmbr mbr sde