Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption 4.60
Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP SP3
What does SDE Error 400 "Driver load failure, System halted." mean? How can I solve this problem?
After a successful Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption installation the error message "SDE400:Driver load failure, System halted" is displayed. After this error message the computer does not boot.
The error message refers to the system kernel error 400. It is a kernel load error. It was not possible to integrate the driver at system start. Possible cause for this is a physical defect on the harddisk in the area of the driver or a manipulation of the partition sector.
1. Fix the Master Boot Record (MBR)
- Boot the system using your operating-system installation CD.
- When the “Welcome to Setup” screen appears, press “R” to repair using the Recovery console*.
- Choose the Windows installation you want logon to.
- Enter the appropriate Administrator password.
- When the command line “c:\windows” appears, enter the command “fixmbr” and press enter.
- Confirm you want to write a new MBR.
- Reboot the machine.
*To start the Windows 2000 Recovery console a 2nd step is necessary. Press "C" to start the console.
2. Start the System using a DOS boot disk.
3. Start SGEASY.EXE from an emergency disk (a floppy disk with the Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption files SGEASY.HLP, SGEASY.EXE, SGECRYPT.RES, SGESTD.RES stored on it)
4. If you have a kernel backup choose "Recovery, Restore kernel" otherwise choose "Recovery, Repair function.
5. Reboot the computer.
Keywords: SDE 400, SDE:400, SDE400, 400, Driver load failure, 201, Notfall