SafeGuard Easy multi-platform 4.5x
Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP
What do I have to consider before installation of SafeGuard Easy?
Certain preparations should be carried out prior to installation. Please read the following list carefully and ensure that you comply with all points.
- All hard disks that are to be encrypted must already be connected to the PC before SafeGuard Easy is installed.
- Before installing SafeGuard Easy, back up your data media completely.
- Use CHKDSK to check the hard disks for errors (for further information see also article 107081 - Performing detailed check of the NTFS file system).
- Virus scanners should be turned off during installation/uninstallation.
- If you use a 3rd-party boot manager, consider re-installing the system without the boot manager.
- If you have used an imaging tool (Drive Image Ghost) to install the operating system, we recommend to "re-write" the master boot record (MBR). To install SafeGuard Easy you need a "spotless" master boot record. The use of imaging/cloning programs may have affected the state of this record.
- You can clean the master boot record by booting from a Windows 98 boot diskette and running fdisk /MBR. Alternatively, for Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can also use the command fixmbr from within the Windows Recovery Console.
- The partitions of your hard disk should be completely formatted and should have a drive letter assigned. Whenever a non-DOS partition type is found, the system displays a warning.
- If the boot partition has been converted from FAT to NTFS, and the system has not been reset by rebooting, SafeGuard Easy should not be installed. It is possible in this case that the installation will not be completed because the file system was still FAT at the time of installation while NTFS was found at the time of activation. In this case you have reboot the machine once before SafeGuard Easy is installed.
107081 - Performing detailed check of the NTFS file system
keywords: best practise practice sge chkdsk pre-flight Dateisystem defrag vorbereitung msi installation sgeasy