In order to restore data from a hard drive in the event of SDE errors, hardware failure or a problem with the operating system, Sophos SDE includes emergency disk tools. This article explains how to create a bootable emergency CD for emergency use.
Sophos product and version
Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption allows you to create a bootable CD for use in an emergency. Depending on your needs, you can:
- create a separate CD for each computer (recommended for remote and roaming users). If the user subsequently encounters an error on their computer, they can then restore their data with the CD you've provided them with.
- wait until an emergency to create an emergency CD.
What to do
To download the Sophos emergency CD image
- On a computer with access to the Internet, download the Sophos emergency CD image.
- Save the file to an appropriate location.
To create a bootable rescue image for the computer
- Open the CD burning software that you will be using to create the bootable CD.
- Select the option to create a CD (or disc) image.
- Select the option to create a bootable disc.
- In the list of files to be added to the CD, add the .iso file that you downloaded from Sophos and also the computer's latest kernel backup, if you have it.
- Burn the files to disc.
For more information about how to use the emergency CD, see Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption (SDE): options in the emergency CD menu or the SDE Recovery Guide.
For instructions on how to create an emergency floppy disk or emergency USB drive, please see the Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption help.