A utility called ObfuscationUtil.exe is provided with Enterprise Console. This utility enables you to hide usernames and passwords from other users on the system. The Sophos Anti-Virus setup program can use these obfuscated names as the credentials for automatic updates of Sophos Anti-Virus.
ObfuscationUtil.exe can be found in the unpacked installation folder C:\sec_xx\Tools.
Watch the Video
What to do
- Copy ObfuscationUtil.exe to the Enterprise Console folder, which by default is:
On x86 operating systems:
C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console
On x64 operating systems:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Enterprise Console
- Open a command prompt.
- Change directory to the Enterprise Console directory
- Type the following commands:
ObfuscationUtil.exe --obfuscate <username> -w
ObfuscationUtil.exe --obfuscate <password> -w
where <username> and <password> are the username and password that you want to obfuscate
Note: If you are obfuscating the credentials used by the Management Service to access the SQL database, only the database user password should be obfuscated. The database user username should not be obfuscated.
- The obfuscated username and password are displayed. Make a note of the obfuscated strings used for the username and password.
- When you use Sophos Enterprise Console to install Sophos Anti-Virus on workstations, or when you add the Sophos Anti-Virus setup program to a login script, enter the obfuscated username and/or password. For example, in a login script, add
setup.exe -ouser <obfuscated username> -opwd <obfuscated password>in full this might be (note S000 is a default number - replace the folder name accordingly for your system):
\\<servername>\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\setup.exe -updp "\\<servername>\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP" -ouser <obfuscated username> -opwd <obfuscated password> -mng yes
When the setup program runs, it converts the obfuscated username and/or password to the real ones, and uses these as the credentials for automatic updating.
For more information on the command line parameters used with setup.exe, see knowledgebase article 12570.