Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows NT/95/98/Me and Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ can both be configured to update automatically. This can be carried out centrally (on managed computers) or locally (on computers that are not managed).
What to do
To enable Sophos Anti-Virus to update automatically, you must:
1. Set a location for updates
You must specify a primary source, and optional secondary source from which Sophos Anti-Virus can obtain updates:
- Primary source: you need an address, and a username and password, for the location from which updates will normally be obtained
- Secondary source (optional): used so that if Sophos Anti-Virus cannot contact its usual (primary) source, it will attempt to update from this alternative source.
The update locations can be configured as follows:
- For managed computers, use Enterprise Console to set the update location. Select 'Updating Policy' then use the 'Set updating policy...' dialog boxes to specify a primary and, optionally, a secondary source from which Sophos Anti-Virus can obtain updates. For more details, refer to the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control network startup guide.
- For unmanaged computers, set up the locations on the computer that will require automatic updating. Right-click the Sophos Anti-Virus icon in the system tray, and select 'Configure updating'. For more details, refer to the knowledgebase article Sophos Anti-Virus: how to configure update settings on a single computer.
Refer also to the section, 'Setting up automatic updating', in the user manual that applies to your product: Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows NT/95/98/Me User manual, or Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ User manual.
2. Schedule updates
You can specify when or how often Sophos Anti-Virus updates itself:
- For managed computers, you can use Enterprise Console to configure the policy centrally, and apply it to one or more groups. For details of how to do this, refer to the section 'Set up automatic updating (overview)' in the Enterprise Console User manual.
- For unmanaged computers, automatic updating can be set up locally in the Sophos Anti-Virus window. For details of how to do this, see one of the following, according to the operating system of the computer you want to configure:
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows NT/95/98/Me User manual, in the section 'Setting up automatic updating'.
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ User manual, in the section 'Setting up automatic updating'.