At each log-on you see the following message displayed:
Microsoft Security Client
An error has occurred in the program during initialization. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator.
Error code: 0x80070002
First seen in
Sophos Cloud Managed Endpoint
The inbuilt Competitor Removal Utility (CRT) has not removed the start-up registry key, e.g.,
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
Note: this item has been raised as DEF98017.
What To Do
In the first instance, the error message can be safely dismissed.
To prevent the message being displayed on each log-on, the 'MSC' registry value referenced in the section above can be deleted using the Windows registry editor.
- Read the warning about editing the Windows registry.
- Open the registry editor (Start | Run | Type:
regedit.exe | Press enter).
- Expand the left-hand tree panel to the following key:
- Ensure the 'Run' key is selected on the left and in the right-hand panel locate the 'MSC' data value.
- Right-click the MSC value and click delete. Example:
Removing the key from multiple computers
If you need to remove the registry key from more than one computer, the following scripted approach may prove helpful.
- Download the file RemoveMSCKey.txt and rename to RemoveMSCKey.vbs.
- Run the script file on each computer, e.g.: