- After opening Sophos Endpoint Security and Control you notice the 'Updating' section (highlighted in the screenshot below) is missing.
- Or: Having rebooted your computer recently, when you attempt to open Sophos Endpoint security and Control it does not respond (i.e., double-clicking the shield or right-clicking and selecting 'Open...' does nothing). If you try to open 'SAVMain.exe' from a command prompt or the Start menu the error below is shown.
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
The ALUpdate.log shows the following errors:
Trace(2014-May-21 06:05:56): CIDUpdateLocation::Prepare... entered
Trace(2014-May-21 06:05:56): CheckManifest: invalid package:invalid manifest: [BADFILE]: 3: 'D:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ps_rootca.crt'
Trace(2014-May-21 06:05:56): Failed to update product ID information: Invalid manifest
First seen in
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ 10.3.7
All of the following are true:
- When the standalone version of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control was originally installed you installed to a non-default location (the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\)
- The install was then configured to update from a location other than Sophos (such as a company or university managed update location)
- When the upgrade to version 10.3.7 takes place the installer does not adhere to the non-default install location which in turn causes this error
What To Do
Note: This issue is currently being investigated, any further updates will be appended to this article.
Due to the state that the software is in this issue can only be resolved by uninstalling and then re-installing the standalone version of 10.3.7 and choosing the desired install location.