When I try to update my Sophos Mobile Control (SMC) license, the SMC License Updater shows the error message
"Cannot get current SMC license"
Looking into the license_update.log, the following errors are displayed.
[2014-04-08 16:20:29] Getting configured license...
[2014-04-08 16:20:34] GetLicense Error: <1> <Apr 8, 2014 4:20:34 PM <WARNING> Unable to rollback transaction for connection ScriptConnection: Transactions are not supported by ScriptConnection
Apr 8, 2014 4:20:34 PM <SEVERE> Script C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos Mobile Control\tools\Wizard\GetLicenseComment.xml execution failed.
javax.script provider exception: Failed to execute script
Error statement: println("ServerURL=" + RegExp.$1);
Error codes: 
Driver exception: javax.script.ScriptException: ReferenceError: "println" is not defined in <eval> at line number 4>
First seen in
Sophos Mobile Control 3.6
This is caused by Java JDK 8 being installed on the server. Within this version of the JDK, a function was removed which the License Updater relies on.
Sophos Mobile Control 4.0
What To Do
To successfully use the License Updater again, follow these steps:
- Stop the Sophos Mobile Control service (SMCSVC)
- Uninstall the installed Java JDK 8
- Download and install Java JDK 7
- Make sure the JAVA_HOME and PATH system variables are pointing to the correct folders
- JAVA_HOME should point to the JDK install folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\)
- PATH should point to the "bin" sub-folder of the JDK install folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\bin)
- Start the SMCSVC service
Now, the SMC License Updater should be able to start again.