Opening a CSV file in an application such as Excel that has been exported from Sophos Cloud fails to display all characters as expected. For example, you may see the text:
Administratorâ€™s rather than
First seen in
The reports exported to CSV from Sophos Cloud are UTF-8 encoded without a Byte Order Marker (BOM). Some applications such as Excel expect a BOM.
What To Do
For applications such as Microsoft Excel that expect a BOM, try performing a data import of the CSV file, choosing 'Unicode UTF-8' during the file import.
- Create a new Excel document.
- Click on 'Data' from the 'ribbon' menu.
- Click the 'From Text' option.
- Choose the exported CSV file and click 'Import'.
- On 'Step 1' of the import wizard choose:
- 'Delimited', as the file type that best describes your data.
- As the 'File origin' choose from the drop down list: '65001: Unicode UTF-8'
Note: The preview window should show the characters as being correct.
- On 'Step 2' of the import wizard choose 'Comma' as the delimiter.
- On 'Step 3' of the import wizard change the column data format as required.
- Check the file has imported and all characters are correctly displayed.