This article details how to incorporate the Sophos Cloud client software in an image. These steps ensure that new computers generated from the image are treated as unique computers in Sophos Cloud.
Note: The first interactive user to log-in to the computer post creation will be the user created in Sophos Cloud.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Cloud Managed Endpoint
What To Do
- Download ‘SophosInstall.exe’ from your Sophos Cloud account. This can be found under 'Downloads’.
Important: Do not use the emailed installer for this installation.
- Install the Sophos Cloud software onto the template computer to be used in the creation of the image.
- Ensure that the computer is managed in Sophos Cloud and up-to-date before continuing.
Note: You can optionally give the automatically generated user a friendly name and apply any policies required.
- Stop the following Windows services:
- Sophos MCS Client
- Sophos MCS Agent
- Delete the following files:
in the following location:
- XP/2003: 'C:\documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Persist\'
- Vista+: 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Persist\'
- Create or edit a file called ‘registration.txt’ under the following location:
- XP/2003: 'C:\documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Config\'
- Vista+: 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Config\'
The file should contain the following:
Following the ‘Token=’ enter the value of the MCS_REGISTRATION_TOKEN embedded in the SophosInstall.exe as downloaded in Step 1.
Note: This token identifies your Sophos Cloud account, for details how to extract this token from 'SophosInstall.exe', see article 119699.
Save the file 'registration.txt'.
Delete the file ‘machine_ID.txt’ under the following location:
- XP/2003: 'C:\documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\AutoUpdate\data\
- Vista+: 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\data\'
- Create the image inline with your imaging method, ensuring that the services in Step 4 are still stopped.
- As computers created from this image start-up, the stopped services start for the first time and users log-in, they will register with Sophos Cloud, creating users based on the log-in name; these Sophos Cloud usernames can be modified in Sophos Cloud as required.