After installing Sophos software which includes the Sophos Management Communication System (MCS) component, e.g. a UTM or Sophos Cloud managed client, you experience a delay in system start-up between 3-5 minutes. In the Windows event log, the following message can be found:
MCS Client service hung or starting
First seen in
UTM Managed Endpoint (Windows 2000+)
During start-up of the 'Sophos MCS Client' service (McsClient.exe) with auto-proxy detection enabled (default), it determines the relevant proxy for each server. The first time WinHttpGetProxyForUrl() is called, it can take a considerable amount of time to return; this makes it appear to the Windows Service Control Manager that the MCS client service had hung.
What To Do
As a workaround until this is fixed by an upcoming release, we recommend that you set the 'Sophos MCS Client' service to have a start-up type of 'Automatic (Delayed Start)'. To set this follow the steps below:
- Open Windows services, to do so: 'Start' | 'Run', type:
services.msc and hit 'Enter'.
- In the list of Windows services, locate the 'Sophos MCS Client' service.
- Right-click on the service and select 'Properties'.
- Change the "Startup type" to be 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' and click 'OK'.
- Restart the computer to determine if the issue is resolved.
Note: DEF92439 has been raised and the issue will be corrected in the next version of MCS.