Windows Defender shows a detection alert for Win32/Small.CA, however Sophos Anti-Virus shows no such detection.
First seen in
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+
Believed to be a false-positive in Microsoft's Windows Defender triggered by a crash of services.exe.
What To Do
Obtain file name from Windows Defender report:
- Open the Windows Action Center: Click Start | Control Panel | Action Center
- Under the section labelled "Potentially harmful software detected" click on 'view details'
- You should get a 'Windows Defender Alert' dialogue.
- Click 'show details'
- Select the detected item Win32/Small.CA
- The relevant filenames should be shown in the 'Resources' section.
Check the event log
- Look at events in and around the time of the detection
- There may be a crash reported for services.exe
To check that the machine is clean:
- Ensure that Sophos Anti-Virus is up to date
- Run a full system scan