This article explains how to override the computer name as reported by Sophos Management Communication (MCS) to Sophos Cloud or a Sophos UTM.
This is not typically required as it is highly likely that computers have unique names however if you have one or more computers with the same name this article will enable you to differentiate between clients in Sophos Cloud or a Sophos UTM.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
UTM Managed Endpoint (Windows 2000+)
What To Do
- On the computer you wish to override the name, before installing or before performing a re-protect; open the registry editor (Start | Run | Type regedit.exe | Press return) and browse to the following keys:
- 32-bit: HKLM\Sophos\Management Communications System\
- 64-bit: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sophos\Management Communications System\
Note: If the above key does not exist please create it.
- Create a new 'String' value under the 'Management Communications System' key called
ComputerNameOverride and set the 'Data' to be the new name of the computer.
- Perform an install or re-protect the computer. i.e. for Sophos Cloud run 'SophosInstall.exe'.
- If required, enabling 'trace' level logging on the 'Sophos MCS Client' service as per article 119607 will show the value being used.
Note: Creating or changing the above registry value and restarting the 'Sophos MCS Client' service post installation will also send back the new name the next time a status message is sent by the endpoint.