After installing PureMessage, the Microsoft Exchange Transport service fails to start. The below errors may be seen in the Application Event Log:
Event ID 1052: Failed to create agent factory for the agent 'PmE12Protocol' with error 'Failed to create type 'PmE12Protocol.PMProtocolAgentFactory' from assembly 'D:\Program Files\Sophos\PureMessage\bin\PmE12Transport.dll' due to error 'Invalid agent assembly path.'.'. Please verify the corresponding transport agent assembly and dependencies with correct version are installed.
Event ID 16023: Microsoft Exchange couldn't start transport agents. The Microsoft Exchange Transport service will be stopped. Exception details: Failed to create type 'PmE12Protocol.PMProtocolAgentFactory' from assembly 'D:\Program Files\Sophos\PureMessage\bin\PmE12Transport.dll' due to error 'Invalid agent assembly path.'. :
First seen in
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 3.0.0
The permissions of the C:\Program Files\Sophos\PureMessage\Bin\ folder are incorrect, permissions for the Local Service account are missing.
What To Do
- Open Windows Explorer
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Sophos\PureMessage\
- Right-click the 'Bin' folder and select 'Properties' | 'Security'
- Click 'Edit' | 'Add' and enter 'Users' | 'OK'
- Check that the below Allow permissions are selected
- Read & Execute
- List folder contents
- Click 'Apply' | 'OK' | 'OK'
- Start the Microsoft Exchange Transport service