The article renders out the necessary steps that need to be performed in case that a Sophos Disk Encryption or SafeGuard Easy / Enterprise standalone user has forgotten his password and Local Self Help was not configured.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Disk Encryption 5.61.0
SafeGuard Easy 6.0
SafeGuard Device Encryption 6.0
What To Do
- Reset the password for the Active Directory User Account
- For SafeGuard Easy / Enterprise (standalone clients): In the Management Center / Policy Editor, perform a "Recovery" | "Sophos SafeGuard Client (standalone)" for the user to help him through POA.
For Sophos Disk Encryption: In the Sophos Enterprise Console, select the User's machine and perform a "Encryption Recovery..." | "Forgotten password (logon recovery)" for the user to help him through the POA.
- On the client machine, logon to Windows using the new Active Directory password
- A SafeGuard message appears, requesting the user to enter his old password. As the user is no longer aware of the old password, press "Cancel"
- Another SafeGuard dialog appears, asking the user whether to replace the users certificate or not. Select "Yes" to automatically have a new certificate with the new user password being created.
The user can now logon to the Power on Authentication using his new password.
Please note: This process has not to be performed if Local Self Help was activated and configured by the user. Local Self Help questions will become invalid and have to be re-answered once the user password has been reset using the procedure above.