The Sophos Outlook Add-in simplifies the reporting of spam messages to Sophos. The add-in is compatible with the Sophos Email Appliance, PureMessage for UNIX, and PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange.
This tool integrates seamlessly with your users' Microsoft Outlook software, making it easy for them to report spam.
Forwarding spam to SophosLabs helps Sophos in its ongoing efforts to improve the accuracy of spam heuristics, which means less spam in user inboxes.
What to do
The Outlook Add-in is a free download available from the "Downloads and Updates" portion of the Sophos website. Once installed, end users can simply click a custom button in their Microsoft Outlook window to report messages as spam.
Downloading the Outlook Add-in
Before you can install the Sophos Outlook Add-in, you must obtain the necessary files from the Sophos website. The download is free, but you will first be prompted to log in to your MySophos account. If you do not have an account, visit the Sophos registration page. If you need assistance, see How to create a MySophos login to download your Sophos software.
If you have a MySophos account, visit this web page:
- When prompted, log in to your MySophos account.
- To view the download page for this product, review the End User Licence Agreement, and click Accept.
- Click Download.
- Follow your operating system's prompts to complete the download of SophosOutlookAdd-in.zip.
Installing the Outlook Add-in
You or an end user can install the add-in on a single workstation, or you can create a custom version of the tool, and distribute it to a group of end users. It is recommended that you review the Outlook Add-in Deployment Guide to decide which method is best for your organization.
Using the Outlook Add-in
End users can do the following to report spam:
- In the main Outlook window, select the folder (for example, Inbox) containing the spam message(s) you want to report.
- Select the message(s) to report.
Outlook 2007: In the top-left corner of the Outlook window, click Report as Spam.
Outlook 2010: On the Home tab of the Outlook Ribbon, click Report as Spam.
- If the option to show a confirmation dialog box is enabled, a message is displayed, asking if you want to move the message to the default folder, and report it as spam to SophosLabs. By default, the message is moved to the Junk E-mail folder. Click OK to complete the report.
For information about submitting samples to Sophos without using the Outlook Add-in, refer to the Knowledgebase article 23113: How to submit spam, and false-positive spam samples to SophosLabs.
For instructions on installing the add-in, see the Outlook Add-in Deployment Guide.