Using the SetProxy utility with Astaro.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Some modes of Astaro Web Security operation require proxy settings to be set within user browsers. In some cases, this can be done through administrative templates or group policies, but this is not always uniformly successful across multiple browsers.
The SetProxy utility was created to assist in automating the deployment of these settings in a Windows environment. It is designed to allow execution from a script, such as a login script, and run without any user interaction. Run without instructions, it will display a user interface, allowing interactive input of settings, and also allowing the user to save the displayed settings as a configuration script.
- Running the exe, without specifying any command line parameters, opens the user interface window. This window exposes all configuration options, and has two action buttons: Set and Save.
- The Set button applies the options displayed, to the current system. If firefox is running at that time, the settings will fail to apply for Firefox. If IE is running, it will need to be restarted before settings will take effect.
- The Save button saves a file called settings.ini to the current working directory. This filename can be used as a single parameter passed to the SetProxy.exe application, to apply the settings saved within that file to the current system.
- Running the application with SetProxy.exe /? will display the available command line switches. These switches can be set to choose the operation mode, and settings available for the chosen mode. The application will apply the options without requiring any user input, and output only sent to the console.
- There are Four supported mode settings:
- proxy This mode sets a specific proxy server, port, and exceptions. This mode requires the proxy address to be specified, and optionally the proxy port, and proxy exemption settings individually for IE and Firefox.
- pac This mode tells the browser to retrieve a proxy auto-configuration script from the specified URL. This script can dynamically instruct the browser what proxy settings to use, per request.
- auto This option tells the browser to attempt to locate a proxy auto-configuration script automatically, using DHCP values.
- no This mode will disable all proxy settings. All connections will be direct.
Note that Proxy, and pac modes both require at least one additional parameter to be set.
Proxy mode has four parameter options, though only the proxy address must be specified:
- proxy This required parameter specifies the address or hostname of a proxy server. The address must be enclosed in ""quotes"", when specified from the command line.
- port Specifies the port on which the proxy server is listening.
- ie_exceptions This optional parameter allows proxy override settings to be given for Internet Explorer, in a semi-colon separated list. URLs which match any of the listed patters will not be sent through the specified proxy. The entire list must be enclosed in "quotes", when specified from the command line.
- ff_exceptions This optional parameter allows proxy override settings to be given for Firefox, in a comma separated list. URLs which match any of the listed patters will not be sent through the specified proxy. The entire list must be enclosed in "quotes", when specified from the command line.
Pac mode requires only one parameter to be set, and there are no optional parameters.
- pac_url This required parameter specifies the url where a proxy auto-configuration script can be loaded from. The full URL must be specified. The entire URL must be enclosed in "quotes", when specified from the command line.
Download The SetProxy utility can be downloaded from the following location: http://www.astarosupport.org/files/SetProxy.exe
Disclaimer This utility is not created, nor supported by Astaro. It has been tested, and is believed to be safe, and to work as described above. If any problems are discovered in this application's operation, please contact the application's author. This contact information can be found by running the SetProxy.exe /?