Sophos includes Memtest86+ as a boot option on both software and appliance installs. This can be used to verify that there are no RAM errors. If errors are occurring, and RAM is suspected, this tool can help to confirm.
This article applies to memtest86 and memtest86+
What to do
The appliance must be rebooted to run a memory test. Follow these steps to start the test:
- Connect a keyboard and monitor to the UTM
- Reboot the device
- During boot, watch for the message:
GRUB loading, please wait...
Press 'ESC' to enter the menu...
- Press escape before the timer expires, and the normal boot process proceeds
- Choose Memtest86+ from the boot menu
- Memtest86+ will load, and the test will start automatically. Memory tests will run repeatedly, until manually stopped. Let the test run as long as is deemed necessary to validate no memory errors are present.