When installing or upgrading to Sophos Enterprise Console 5.x, on the 'Database Details - Specify the user account for database access' screen the following error is shown:
This account has an invalid logon name or User Principal Name (UPN).
An account with a valid logon name is needed to allow the communication between the Management Console and the Management Server.
For information, Sophos support knowledgebase article 114036.
First seen in
Enterprise Console 5.0.0
You have entered an account which does not have a User Principal Name (UPN) associated with it. The most likely account to not have a UPN is the administrator account.
What to do
You must perform one of the following:
- Set a UPN for the account you are attempting to use. Please note that we do not recommend the administrator account is used.
- Choose an account with a UPN enabled.
How to check an account has a UPN logon name associated with it
- On your Domain Controller, open "Active Directory Users and Computers" (Start | Run | type:
dsa.msc | press return).
- Locate the account, right-click and choose Properties.
- Select the Account tab, under "User logon name", ensure that both fields that make up the UPN are populated.
For example, where the pre-Windows 2000 account format is:
domain1\svcDatabase, the UPN format would be:
svcDatabase@domain1.local, where domain1.local is the fully qualified domain name.
For more information regarding the requirements of this account please see 113954.