The envelopes directory is used by the Sophos Remote Management System (RMS), specifically the component RouterNT.exe, to temporarily store message files when the intended destination is not available. The message files will be delivered when the destination becomes available or will timeout depending on the individual message's Time To Live (TTL) value.
This article describes how to move the envelopes directory to an alternative path or drive. The reasons for doing this include:
- Disk space is running low on the drive where the envelopes directory resides by default.
- Disk I/O could be improved by moving the directory to a new physical drive.
Applies to the following Sophos product and version
Sophos Control Center
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+
Note: The ability to change the envelopes directory was added to RouterNT.exe version 18.104.22.1683. This is installed with Sophos Enterprise Console 4.5 or SAV 9.5+. On the computer on which you intend to change the directory location, please check that the version of RouterNT.exe is 22.214.171.1243 or greater.
What to do
The default location of the envelopes directory is:
- Windows 2000/XP/2003:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\Router\Envelopes\
- Windows Vista/2008/7:
C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\Router\Envelopes\
To change the directory the envelopes are written to:
- Open the Windows services list (Start | Run | type:
- Stop the Sophos Message Router service.
- Open the registry editor (Start | Run | type:
- Expand the tree to the following key:
- Create a new STRING data value called
- Edit the string value and enter the new location (folder path) of the envelopes directory (e.g. "C:\Envelopes").
- Copy any existing message (.msg) files from the old envelopes directory as detailed above into the new envelopes directory.
- Start the Sophos Message Router service.