When troubleshooting a problem on a remote computer Sophos Technical Support may request the Sophos Diagnostic Utility (SDU) be used to gather information. Network administrators may not have direct access to remote computers. Therefore running the sducli.exe (Sophos Diagnostic Utility Command Line Interface) tool using the windows task scheduler logs can be collected from a remote computer.
Installing the SDU tool on the Sophos Management server and using the existing 'SophosUpdate' share you can collect logs from the remote computer and have the output file written to the 'SophosUpdate' share.
Known to apply to the following Sophos products and versions
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+
What To Do
The following steps should be performed on the Sophos Management Server.
- Download and install the SDU tool:
Note: Cancel the tool when it prompts you to run it.
- Locate the installation folder for the SDU tool (e.g "%program files%\Sophos Diagnostic Utility\")
- Copy the 'Sophos Diagnostic Utility' to the 'SophosUpdate' share (e.g. "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\")
- Rename the folder 'Sophos Diagnostic Utility' to 'SDU'
- Create a new directory in the root folder of the 'SophosUpdate' share called 'sduOutput'.
- Open an command prompt (Start | Run | Type: cmd.exe).
- Run the command:
schtasks /create /s client /u domainName\administrator /p password /ru domainName\administrator /rp password /sc once /st hh:mm:ss /tn "Sophos Diagnose" /tr "\\serverName\SophosUpdate\SDU\sducli.exe -logdir=\\serverName\SophosUpdate\sduOutput\"
|Parameter ||Description |
|the time to run Sophos Diagnose on the remote client (example 11:05:00, beware of timezone differences and include the seconds also) |
|client ||the hostname (NetBIOS name) of the remote computer |
|the password for the domainName\administrator account |
|domainName\administrator ||one word domain name and a domain administrator account |
|serverName ||the hostname (NetBIOS name) of the Sophos Management server |
- After the specified time specified time to run Sophos Diagnose it may take up to 10-15mins for the process to complete, during this time the application will be invisible to the user.
- Check the \\serverName\SophosUpdate\sduOutput\ folder for the log set.
- Check %windir%\Schedlgu.txt on the remote PC if SDU logs are not produced in the server share
- Check the username and password used is correct
- Check that by removing the "
/s client" that the scheduled task gets created locally and launches correctly