This article shows you where to locate the product version information in Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X (refered to as 'SAV for Mac'). It also explains how to tell if you have the Enterprise, Cloud, standalone or free Home Edition version installed.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X
Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition
Find the product version
To find out exactly which version of SAV for Mac you are running follow these instructions:
- Click on the Sophos shield from the menu bar.
- Select 'About Sophos Anti-Virus'.
- Launch 'Sophos Anti-Virus' from your 'Applications' folder.
- Click on the 'Sophos Anti-Virus' menu (top left-hand corner).
- Select 'About Sophos Anti-Virus'.
Either of these methods will open a small window showing product version information. You may see '9.0.4' or similar.
Look for the version number. Example:
In the screenshot above the exact product version of Sophos Anti-Virus is '9.0.3'.
How to tell if the installation is managed or the free version
To know whether or not the installation is managed (and how it is managed) you have to look at the visual appearance of the product installed under the program's Preferences.
First (applicable to all versions):
- Open Preferences by clicking on the Sophos shield in the menu bar and selecting 'Open Preferences'.
- Click on the 'Auto Update' tab. If you don't see the Auto Update tab you have the managed version of SAV for Mac controlled from Sophos Cloud.
- Authenticate with an administrator account by clicking the padlock icon.
Important: You must complete this step as the visual appearance of the difference products is based on the appearance of the panel when authenticated.
Then answer these questions in order:
- Do you see a 'Auto Update' tab in Preferences? If you don't you have a managed version of SAV for Mac that is managed from Sophos Cloud. If you see an 'Auto Update' tab move to question two.
- Having authenticated with the panel on the 'Auto Update' tab are the fields 'Update Location', 'User Name', and 'Password' still grayed out (cannot be changed) and is the 'Update Location' set to 'Sophos'?
If so you have the Home Edition (free) version of SAV for Mac. Important: There is no phone nor email support for this version of the program. All support is via the Sophos FreeTalk forum. If you can edit the updating fields move to question three.
- At this stage you either have the non-free (paid) standalone version which is unmanaged, or you have the managed version which is centrally controlled with Enterprise Console and your system administrator.
The value of the field 'Update Location' could be 'Sophos', it could start 'smb://' or 'http://'. The full updating address may mention a company/college/university name or domain.
In all cases the important thing to note is that this is not the Home Edition (free) version and there will be differences in the program. Note: The way to tell the if the program installed is managed or not is to open 'Activity Monitor' from Spotlight, filter the process names for 'Sophos' and see if 'SophosMessageRouter' is listed. If you see that process the installation is managed. Otherwise it is standalone which can update from any source, but configuration and settings are not set by a central policy.
If you have determined that you have either the standalone or console-managed version installed you should speak to your company or college/university IT servicedesk for support.
We are in the process of making changes to SAV for Mac so you can more easily tell the version (Home Edition, or managed from Sophos Cloud/Enterprise Console) in a forthcoming release of the product.