The Sophos Agent and Message Router services are not starting correctly and they stop and start on systems with Microsoft Forefront TMG Client and/or Microsoft Firewall Client of the ISA server 2006 installed.
If you open the Sophos Agent logs you can see:
13.09.2010 14:47:50 124C E ACE_Select_Reactor_T::open failed inside ACE_Select_Reactor_T::CTOR: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
13.09.2010 14:47:50 124C E (4564|4684) ORB Core unable to initialize reactor: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
13.09.2010 14:47:50 124C E Agent::Start: Caught CORBA system exception, ID 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INITIALIZE:1.0'
TAO exception, minor code = 0 (ORB Core initialization failed; unspecified errno), completed = NO
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ 9.5.0
What To Do
Please note: this issue does not appear in a new installation of Endpoint Security and Control, version 9.7. Sophos Web Protection will not be available when Microsoft Forefront TMG Client and/or Microsoft Firewall Client are installed. If you have performed an upgrade to 9.7 from 9.5 (Which had the Sophos Web Protection feature enabled) then you will need to disable the feature as detailed below.
There are two options to rectify this problem, you can either:
- Uninstall Microsoft Forefront TMG Client/MS Firewall Client of the ISA server 2006
- Edit the Sophos anti-virus/hips policy or local settings to prevent this conflict
Editing the Sophos anti-virus/HIPS policy
- Open Enterprise Console
- You will need to determine whether you need a new group and/or policy to protect the computers that have the relevant Microsoft client installed.
- Either edit an existing policy, or create a new one with the following features switched off:
- Web protection (URL Filtering)
- Reboot the workstation. The Sophos Agent and Sophos Message Router service will now start.