Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption 4.60
Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP SP3
How can this situation be bypassed?
Due to the reason that new PC systems (especially Notebooks) do not have a floppy drive any more no kernel, backup restore via emrgency diskette is possible.
Actually you are able to create a bootable CD that containes the Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption Emergency Tools and a valid kernel backup of the system affected.
To create such a CD some preconditions have to be fulfilled:
- You need a floppy drive within the PC that will create the CD
- A valid and current kernel backup of the machine that should be restored
- A empty floppy disk
After this preconditions have been fulfilled you can start to create the CD as follows:
1. Use Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption Emergency Disk Wizard to create a bootable rescue floppy with kernel backup.
2. There are two ways to proceed the next step now:
a) This disk can be used as a master floppy. This would mean that whenever creating a new CD this floppy will be picked as the master and only the kernel file on the floppy will be exchanged. This will only work as long as the version of Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption does not change. In case that the version in use changes it is neccessary to create the Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption Emergency Tools new as well.
b) The floppy drive can be converted into a image file. In this case everytime a new CD is created it is neccessary to mount the floppy within a program that can handle these files and to exchange the kernel backup file.
-> In case you only want to create a single CD above mentioned solutions can be ignored. In such case the floppy drive will be used directly to create a kernel backup.
3. The last step is to create a bootable CD. This article will describe how to create such a CD using Nero Burning Rom. In case that other burning software is in use, contact the manufactorer or the manual how to create such a CD.
a) Please use the Nero "New Compilation" wizard to create a new CD-ROM (Bootable)
b) Depending on the way the boot image data is stored (Floppy or Image) chose the equivalent source.
Sample 1. Creating a CD using a master floppy
Sample 2. Creating a CD using a image file
I. Chose "Image File"
II. Use the browse button to locate the floppy image
III. Make sure that the advanced box is not checked
4. After completing this step the burn process can be started directly.
When creating the CD make sure that the correct version of Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption Emergency tools is in use.
Make also sure that the kernel backup in use is the one that belongs to the machine that should be recovered and that it is a current and valid one.