Are there any known incompatibilities between SafeGuard Enterprise and other applications?
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
What To Do
When installing SafeGuard Enterprise on a computer that has other software installed there are three main points to be considered:
3rd party Graphical identification and authentication (GINA) components
- If 3rd party software with an own GINA system is installed, it might be necessary to cascade it together with the Windows XP GINA and the SafeGuard GINA.
Please refer to KBA 110731 "SafeGuard Authentication Module" for advanced information about the SafeGuard GINA system and examples on how to cascade the SafeGuard and Windows XP GINA with a 3rd party GINA.
- When using Antivirus software we recommend to exclude the SafeGuard Local Cache folder as follows:
- For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (R2)
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Utimaco\SafeGuard Enterprise\LocalCache
- For Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 (R2)
This helps avoid performance issues and prevents concurrent access to the files, which is treated as a security violation (the LocalCache is secured by SGN´s internal mechanisms)
- There may be some conflicts with the available kernel stack size within the system. Microsoft Windows XP has a technical limitation of its kernel stack. If several file system filter drivers (e.g. antivirus software) are installed, the memory might not be sufficient. In this case you might get a BSoD. Sophos cannot be made liable for this Windows limitation and cannot solve this issue.
Searching the knowledge database using the vendor name will bring up further information.
- Currently there are no known 3rd party applications which do not work properly when installed alongside SafeGuard Enterprise. However, there are several kinds of software types that have not been officially tested so far and therefore correct functioning cannot be guaranteed. One example of this would be any kind of backup/imaging software.