Certain hardware settings and how it functions can lead to problems when starting endpoint computers, causing the system to hang or peripherals to stop working . The Power-on Authentication supports a number of hotkeys for modifying these hardware settings and deactivating their function. Furthermore, gray and black lists covering functions known to cause problems are integrated in the .msi file installed on the computer.
This article provides information on the Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise hotkeys.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Disk Encryption 5.61.0
SafeGuard Device Encryption
Applying hotkeys for later version of SafeGuard Enterprise and Easy
Important: As of the release of SafeGuard Enterprise Device Encryption 5.50.1 and SafeGuard Easy 5.50.1, we have changed the way hotkeys must be applied at POA (Power on Authentication) level.
See the following knowledgebase articles for further information:
The following hotkeys are available at POA (Power On Authentication), ensure you hold down SHIFT and press the relative function key:
- Shift F3 = switch USB Legacy support (Off/On)*
- Shift F4 = toggle from VESA to VGA graphics mode (Off/On)*
- Shift F5 = switch USB support (Off/On)*
- Shift F6 = switch from ATA to Int13 (Off/On)* (available as of SGN 5.20)
- Shift F7 = switch USB 2.0 support (Off/On)* (available as of SGN 5.35.2)
- Shift F9 = switch ACPI/APIC (Off/On)* (available as of SGN 5.40)
* The bold marked option is the default value.
When you interrupt the boot sequence
The above mentioned keys have to be pressed in the following screen:
Examples of hotkeys in use
Depending on the pressed hotkey the following messages are shown on the screen to confirm success or not.
Shift F3 =
Shift F4 =
Shift F5 =
Shift F6 =
Shift F7 =
Shift F9 =
Function keys in the logon screen
When the POA logon screen is shown the following function keys are available:
- F2 = Cancel autologon
- F5 = Shows the currently active values of the hotkeys. Example:
- F8 = Change password in POA
- Left Shift + left Alt = switch keyboard layout (US/DE...)
Configuring hotkeys during installation
In a roll-out scenario these settings can be applied during the installation. This can be done by using either an MST file (a package manipulation or transform for the main Windows installer) which is applied, or the right parameter in combination with msiexec.exe).
Possible parameters (can be found in the 'Property' table of the MSI package):
- NOATA= (0/1) (available as of SGN 5.20)
- NOUSB20=(0/1) (available as of SGN 5.35.2)
- ACPIAPIC=(0/1) (available as of SGN 5.40)
It is also possible to use the command line options at installation time for example to install the client in VGA mode (POA). Example:
msiexec /i sgnclient_en.msi novesa=1