05 Dec 2006
Yes, Sophos has already released Vista anti-virus protection!
Sophos responds to inaccurate media reports
Sophos today issued a statement responding to a number of media reports that implied the company was amongst the anti-virus vendors who have not yet issued a product to protect users of Windows Vista.
In fact, Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows Vista was released on 23 November 2006, and is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the new operating system.
"Unfortunately misleading media reports like these take a life of their own, and start to become repeated as fact," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "Some anti-virus vendors may be planning to release their solutions for Vista sometime in 2007, but a few seconds of Googling would have revealed that Sophos has already done it!"
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, version 6.5 includes:
- Protection against viruses, spyware, adware and PUAs
- Application control, which allows businesses to set their own policies regarding whether user groups are allowed to run software such as IM clients, VoIP, peer-to-peer file sharing and distributed computing projects
- Behavioral Genotype™ Protection to guard against unknown threats
- High performance scanning with Decision Caching
- Central management and update features, using Enterprise Console
- Automatic updates against the latest threats every 10 minutes
Customers using Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003, version 6.0 will be updated to support Vista automatically, without any user intervention.
More than 100 million users in 150 countries rely on Sophos as the best protection against complex threats and data loss. Sophos is committed to providing complete security solutions that are simple to deploy, manage, and use and that deliver the industry's lowest total cost of ownership. Sophos offers award-winning encryption, endpoint security, web, email, mobile and network security solutions backed by SophosLabs - a global network of threat intelligence centers.
Sophos is headquartered in Boston, US and Oxford, UK. More information is available at www.sophos.com.