Data Center & Cloud System Engineers are responsible for delivering the infrastructure to provide customer facing systems and cloud services to Sophos customers. The job role requires skill with Linux, cloud computing, data centers, storage, backups, firewalls and networking. Join a newly formed, Cloud team to help support the next generation SaaS management platform for Sophos’ traditional products and technologies. We are passionate and clued up on new technologies and products; always looking for ways to revolutionise how security technology interacts with the user; and have a penchant for solving complex and challenging technical problems in a creative manner.
Location: Burlington, MA (North American Headquarters)
- Responsible for the timely processing of incidents and requests; including (but not limited to) ticket handling, documentation, resolution and/or escalation to appropriate functions within the department.
- Acts as a single point of contact for user and promptly allocates unresolved calls as appropriate while maintaining records and advising users of actions taken and progress made towards resolution.
- Follows procedures when receiving and handling requests for information.
- Provides routine advice to users on systems, products and services available.
- Assists users with troubleshooting desktop systems, products and services – Makes initial diagnosis of incidents and advises users of known solutions.
- Demonstrates, installs, and commissions desktop systems and their routine upgrades whilst maintaining complete and accurate asset inventories.
- Installs and configures desktop applications and hardware, including testing and fault diagnosis.
- Assists in project related activities as required and contributes to routine problem resolution and testing.
- Takes on some other duties as assigned, and as an time allows.
Experience and Skills
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Carry personal responsibility for high quality changes to a live IT infrastructure
- Perform routine administration to support the on-going system maintenance and configuration.
- Work on internal projects to develop new capabilities and features for the Sophos Production environment
- Work to project plans and milestones set by manager, and provide regular updates of progress, identifying any slippage of milestones and proposing solutions to bring the project back on track.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation on a 1 in 6 basis (in the future)
- Occasionally carry out changes outside of normal working hours
- Monitor existing infrastructure, identify areas of weakness and propose improvements to your manager or senior engineers.
- Take corrective action, as a first point of contact, to resolve incidents escalated from Technical Support, IT and SophosLabs during working hours. Escalating to manager or senior engineers where appropriate.
- Review dashboard feedback to identify faults and configuration inefficiencies, work with team to address issues.
- Publication of Software updates as required meeting product release schedules, monitoring load on infrastructure and support, taking corrective action where possible and flagging issues with manager.
- Conduct assigned testing, configuration and system changes in line with DCO policies and procedures.
Key Technical Skills Preferred:
- Linux (Debian, CentOS, Gentoo, Mint, Ubuntu)
- MySQL and PostGress database experience
- Nagios, Icinga, Logic monitoring systems experience
- Experience or knowledge with Amazon Web Services (AWS) instances in automation and auto scale processes
- Experience or knowledge of puppet or chef as automation tools
In most cases, the compensation package includes:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- 401k plan
- Vacation time
- Gym membership compensation