Sophos is focused on delivering the best IT security and data protection for businesses. Today Sophos products protect over 100,000 businesses and 100 million users, in more than 150 countries.
We are looking for an accomplished Software Development Manager to lead a team of Engineers in the development and maintenance of computer systems central to our operation. You will ensure that systems developed are fit for use, and that they are delivered on time, to specification and with quality.
This is a great opportunity for a hands-on manager who is openly passionate about computer security and systems development. You will help create an environment where our Engineers are excited about the vision for the team and motivated to achieve the priorities you set out. You have a keen eye for detail and are comfortable adapting to the needs of the business. This is a role where communication will be the key to your success as you will be working with peers in a cross-functional and global team.
- Act as Development Lead for planning, driving, owning and tracking deliveries of System Development projects
- Develop long-range technical plans to support the business and development strategies
- Define team priority/projects and gain agreement with senior stakeholders
- Identify and track key metrics of process effectiveness and efficiency on current systems. Use data to revise procedures and optimize development process
- Influence Development Leads, Technical Leads and team members in other global locations
- Responsible for new starter orientation, ensuring appropriate training, mentoring and coaching is available for all staff and tracking execution against development plan.
- Ensure the appropriate mixture of skills and seniority of staff within group – minimizing single points of failure. Regularly assess organizational structure of team for effectiveness and appropriateness given changing priorities and requirements and recommend changes
- Give input into annual salary review process for development group employees
- Manage employee performance and group productivity through 1 on 1 meetings, providing constructive suggestions for improvement and rewarding accomplishments
- Mentor and provide guidance on development and engineering practices for other team members to spread and improve knowledge within the team. Encourage peer to peer knowledge transfer
- Work with HR on building a recruitment and selection strategy
- Build a network of relationships within Engineering and the rest of the company. This should include people from Test, Development, IT, Global Technical Support, Product Management and Global Sales Engineering
- Provide input into budget process – clearly stating what is needed (staff, capital, training etc) in order to produce the necessary deliverables for the product roadmap
Experience And Skills
- Team Leadership for a systems or software development team
- Managed and lead the delivery of commercial software projects on time, with quality and within budget from specification to delivery
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Deep knowledge of operating systems, development methodologies and life cycles
- The ability to influence across your peers and upwards
- Experience managing projects with success in meeting deadlines and commitments
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and adapting to changing priorities
- You have created flexible, future-proof solutions
- Driving for quality is something you do every day
- The ability to provide leadership and vision for success of the team
- Fluent English
- Web application development
- Big data technologies
- Managed remote resources/teams
- Anti-virus and/or anti-spam and/or firewall product
- Building complete systems (applications, networks, databases, performance and monitoring)
- System architecture design
- Dealing with leading edge technologies
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Excellent working environment
- An open and lively atmosphere
- A stable and dynamically growing international company by providing secure background
- And last but not least a competitive salary
Location: Hungary, Budapest XI.
Work hours: 40 hours per week.
Special How To Apply Instructions
If you have the relevant experience, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org