This article provides information regarding Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2. It includes product changes and guidance on how and if you should upgrade.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2
- This version of Enterprise Console has the ability to correctly discover and deploy to Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 computers. Watch the video: How to deploy Endpoint software to a Windows 8.1 computer from Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2. (12:43).
- Workarounds available for existing Enterprise Console 5.x customer are covered in article 119728.
- Existing computers shown as Windows Server or Windows Workstation may need to be re-discovered using 5.2.1 R2 in order to correctly identify them before deployment.
- A configurable toolbar item to launch the management interface of Sophos Mobile Control.
- A number of minor items have been addressed:
- Enterprise Console 5.2.1 may show an incorrect feature list for the selected package in the subscriptions dialog (DEF93535).
- Shift-select, following a find in the computer-list view may highlight computers outside the visible items (DEF93844).
- Inconsistent multiple-selection behavior of the computer-list view after column sort or group selection change (SUG93924).
Should you upgrade?
We recommend you upgrade to this version if any of the following apply:
- You have Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 computers you want to discover and deploy endpoint software to.
- You are using Sophos Mobile Control and would like to centrally configure the management URL for your Enterprise Console users.
- You are affected by any of the items mentioned in the 'What's new' section above.
How to Upgrade
- Refer to article 119105 regarding the possible upgrade paths for Sophos Enterprise Console. You may need to upgrade to an intermediate version prior to upgrading to this release.
- Download the Sophos Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2 installer (sec_521r2_sfx.exe) from the download section of the website.
- You must run the 5.2.1 R2 installer on computers that are configured with the following components of Sophos Enterprise Console:
- Management Console
- Management Server
- You do not need to run the installer on the computer hosting the 'Database' component if that is the only component installed on the computer. There are no changes to the databases in this release.
- If all components are installed on the same computer, run the installer and the 'Components Selection' page of the installer will confirm that all components are installed on the computer.
- If you were planning to upgrade one Enterprise Console to version 5.2.1 R2, we strongly recommend you upgrade all Enterprise Consoles (local to the management server and remote) to Sophos Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2.
- Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2 can communicate with a 5.2.1 management server but to ensure that it can correctly discover and deploy to Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2 computers, you must also upgrade the 'Management Server' component.
- The self extracting installer will extract files required for the installation to 'C:\sec_521r2\' by default before launching the installer. Please note the following:
- Upgrades between versions typically invoke an 'Upgrade' workflow; for upgrades from Enterprise Console 5.2.1 (non R2) this will be a 'Modify' workflow which is expected.
- You will be prompted to enter the password for the management account and to confirm the port used by the management server.
Can you use this installer for fresh installations?
Yes, you should consider Enterprise Console 5.2.1 R2 as the latest version of Sophos Enterprise Console. We encourage all fresh installs to use this version.
Why don't all 5.2.1 references include R2?
The changes in SEC 5.2.1 R2 are confined to a limited number of files and resources. For that reason, pages in the installer and documentation may still refer to the version as just 5.2.1. The locations where you will see version 5.2.1 R2 specifically include:
- Help | About dialog available from within Enterprise Console.
- The help files distributed with Enterprise Console and online will reflect changes introduced in R2.
- The download pages and the file name of the self extracting installer, i.e. sec_521r2_sfx.exe.