The responsiveness of Sophos Enterprise Console has dropped significantly, switching views, editing policies and general scrolling are affected (to varying levels) by delays. This may have become noticeable following an upgrade of the console.
Sophos product and version
Enterprise Console 5.0.0
Enterprise Console 4.7.0
The SOPHOS database SQL transaction log file may have increased significantly in size. This increase in size attributes to a degradation in performance when performing tasks in the console.
What to do
- Download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Make a backup of the SOPHOS database and transaction log.
- Change the recovery model to 'simple'.
- Shrink the transaction log file.
1. Download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
For SQL Server 2005 Express Edition:
For SQL Server 2008 Express Edition:
2. Backup the SOPHOS Database
See article 110380. Changes will be made to the transaction log that should be accompanied by a full database backup.
3. Change the Recovery Model with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
How to: View or Change the Recovery Model of a Database (SQL Server Management Studio):
4. Shrink the transaction log file for the SOPHOS database
Important notes regarding the following link:
- Step 5, 'Release unused space' is the safest and recommended option as it will shrink the log to the smallest size possible. Always use this option on your first attempt to reduce the transaction log.
- Step 6, 'Reorganize pages before releasing unused space' should be used when 'Release unused space' has not made a substantial difference to the size and performance of the Sophos Console. The option in Step 7 'Reorganize files before releasing unused space' should be selected with this
How to: Shrink a File (SQL Server Management Studio):
Recover from a full transaction log in a SQL Server database:
Sophos SQL Best Practice Guide for Endpoint products